What Summer Break Means for Divorced Parents

stick figure family drawn in the sand at the beach

Like most holidays or breaks from school, the first summer break following a divorce can mean complications and compromises. One parent may want to take the children on vacation while the other wants to spend some one-on-one time with them at home. Navigating these situations can be tricky, but here are some things you can do to make it easier.

The Specifics of Your Custody Agreement

Some couples may choose to include in their custody agreements who gets the kids on certain holidays or breaks from school, so your first step should be to always revert back to what is written and approved by the court.

If there are no specifications about the extended holiday or end-of-year breaks, consider your overall schedule. How often and when does each parent have parenting time? If you have an agreement where one parent has weekend parenting and the other has weekdays, you may want to consider modifying any vacation plans to accommodate the already established schedule.

Obtain a Travel Consent Form

If you are able or choose to travel, you should consider completing a travel consent form for each minor child that will be vacationing with you. This can either be a letter written by the non-accompanying parent or a form obtained through your specific transportation system (some airlines have them on their websites).

It’s important to remember that most airlines, cruise ships, tour organizers, or any other travel-related agencies require this for international travel, and may ask for this signed by both parents and notarized to ensure that the child is in safe and appropriate care.

More Vacation Questions? We Have Answers

Deciding how to handle school breaks and vacations with your ex can be complicated if both parties aren’t willing to work together. However, it is always best to keep the best interest of the child in mind. If you have any questions or concerns about your custody agreement, contact Law Office of Greg Quimby, P.C. by calling (719) 212-4227 or filling out the form on our website.

Related Posts
  • How Relocation Affects Child Custody Read More
  • Colorado Family Law FAQ: How Does Domestic Violence Impact Divorce? Read More
  • What to Do If You Are Struggling to Make Child Support Payments Read More