3 Tips for Sharing Custody With a Narcissistic Parent

Mother and daughter

You’ve divorced your narcissistic partner— congratulations! Unfortunately, if you share children and custody, your relationship is far from over. Co-parenting is a challenge in itself, and if you’re going it with a narcissist, it can feel near impossible.

Take a deep breath. You’re tied to this individual through your children, but you can make the task of sharing custody more manageable.

Tips for Co-Parenting With a Narcissist

You may be thinking to yourself, how are you going to make this work? It won’t be an easy road ahead, but there are ways you can take back the control when it comes to co-parenting.

1. Create a legal parenting plan

Narcissists tend to do things their way on their schedule. If you have a custody agreement, everything will be written and legally bound. Your parenting plan should be extremely detailed, covering everything from who pays medical costs to a visitation schedule. Make sure there are no gray areas that could be exploited down the road.

It’s essential to have an experienced child custody lawyer who can help establish this plan.

2. Set up firm boundaries

There will be moments where your ex gets you fired up, but they feed off your reaction. To minimize the risks of this happening, you might try suggesting that you communicate only through text and email, giving you time to respond thoughtfully. This is also an effective way to document all communication.

3. Avoid engaging in arguments

If you find your ex trying to rope you into conflict, don’t take their bait. When it comes to arguments, avoid putting your child in the middle. Keep things between you and your ex or serious matters to a mediator.

You’ve probably worked with a colleague you couldn’t see eye to eye with, but you remained cordial to be professional. When communicating with your ex, try to get in the same mindset. You don’t have to agree on everything, but you do have to work together.

When to Take Action

If your ex is not following the custody arrangement you agreed to, it may be time to take legal action. They can be held in contempt of court, or you may choose to file a motion with the court for enforcement of an existing order. Our attorneys can help. We empathize with you and understand how frustrating it can be to parent with a difficult ex. We have your best interest at heart, and we will guide you through the process.

Call (719) 212-4227 or contact us online to schedule an appointment for a free consultation with an experienced lawyer from our team.

Related Posts
  • Colorado Family Law FAQ: How Does Domestic Violence Impact Divorce? Read More
  • What to Do If You Are Struggling to Make Child Support Payments Read More
  • Navigating Child Custody Matters in the Military Read More